Our logo! (56k death)

pyroglyphix

We won't do anything too daring with the current forum visuals because we are due for one more migration before things finally settle down. (not a new host, but these forums will need to go through the export/import process once more in a few weeks, after I set up our portal).

However, we can and should get rid of the phpbb logo and get this latest rendition in there instead. I slept on it, and looked again today, and I still like it.

Glyff - I need a version of that logo that is similar in dimensions to the phpbb logo we have. I also need you to do that feathered thingie so that it will match the white background that the forums currently use. If you have time, I'd love it if you could try to dull down those stars so they don't stand out quite as much, but lets get something up there so we can see it in a context. =)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont like the red around the letters. I like the orange that was in the first attempt. Also the white of the moth is not my favorite..maybe blue or green or yellow?

OK, I took a bunch of things into consideration with this logo, once I realized how much I liked it. I have a bunch of personal rules for logo design and such that I admittedly strayed away from in my enthusiasm for creation on some of the previous ones.

Rule #1: K.I.S.S. -- I'm sure you've heard this before. Keep It Simple, Stupid. An idea I always try to subscribe to. When I look at a piece, and think to myself "something's missing", I will stop myself, and first ask "Or is there too much?" Anyways, I think I overlooked my own rule, and kept trying to put something unnecessary in along with the main logo idea. If you really look at most logos, you'll realize they're nothing more than a font with some color and texture.

I liked the idea of a moth and all the metaphors it entails, and I really wanted to incorporate it. I've decided to keep it white; it's the color mostly associated with moths vs. butterflys, and it looks really good with the red. The upside-down fleur-de-lis was another thing that screamed "South of Heaven".

Fewer colors are also part of this rule. Too many colors can confuse the eye: three is optimal, covering your shadows, midtones, and highlights. The NASA effect is pretty, but it actually conflicts with the overall simplicity of what a logo should be. The dominate color in the stars was a golden-orange, and that's what was pleasing about it; I comprised per Sera's advice and switched the lettering outline back to orange, and removed the stars completely.

I could make up some sort of symbolic metaphor for the skull, but it was really an accident, and not something that is readily apparent to anyone unless pointed out. Zyco mentioned somewhere that we should put a skull in, so I worked on really accentuating it, right to the point that you might miss it at first, but when you do realize it's there, it completes the picture.

I racked my brain and racked my brain trying to think of something to add to it to "complete" it. Then I remembered my above rules: I almost physically slapped myself in the forehead. I then thought to myself, "What makes me think it needs something more?". I realized it was due to the position of the letters. I didn't want them covering the moth/fluer/skull symbol, so I was trying to compensate by adding something else to balance it.

That was easily fixed by just making it lots bigger.

I've done a lot of logos and such in the past, some good, some bad, and I have to say: this is friggin' cool.

soh5.jpg

This is what it looks like on a native background. I realized the white moth wouldn't really work with a white background, and the natural choice seemed to be black. This logo looks like something I wouldn't mind having painted on the back of my motorcycle jacket :)

sohwhite.png

Its looking really good, but I still dislike the red skull on the moth. How would it look with a dark blue? I do like the black tho. You really did a nice job, glyff. :)