WoW App - Babylonious (Blood DK)

Babylonius

How's it going? I'm Babylonious and I play a Blood Death Knight. I'm not sure how to go about this free form application so here I go.

Armory: http://us.battle.net...onious/advanced

WoL: http://www.worldoflo...m/guilds/51713/

http://raidbots.com/...ar/babylonious/

Raid History:

I started at the end of BC and didnt raid seriously till Wrath. Cleared Naxx, Ulduar (All normals and heroics minus Yogg+2 and Mim), ToGC (with insanity), ICC 11/12H.

I took a break after ICC and focused on finishing my Bachelors. I didnt raid much in BoT/BWD or FL till I came back strong for DS where I rebuilt my guild and went 8/8H.

For all but Ulduar I was an officer in w/e guild I was in and started my own guild for Heroic ICC, leading raids, main tanking, and handling all guild buisiness. I am a natural leader both in-game and out, but would prefer to step down from leadership and focus on maximizing my performance with others around me doing the same. That is why I am currently interested in leaving my guild even though I have been the GM for almost 3 years. I have been holding hands and it is making the time I play not fun and a lot of work. I want to be around other players who play at the level I do and who push themselves to benefit the guild as much as I do.

Me:

I am 23 and finishing my Masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology. I have been playing WoW since mid 2007 and played an MMO called RYL for several years before that. To be frank (I'm really Matt), I play WoW because nothing else eats up free time like it does. I play to be recognized in every sense of that. I love knowing that I am one of the best, in the best guild, surrounded by the best people, or anythign like that. That being said, I know to be the best I need to work with the best which is why I am applying here. I am a 100% team player and will never be selfish for any reason. I have been a Guild Master, Raid Leader, and Main Tank for the better part of the past 3 years and I know the stresses and requirements that come from that.

Here are the things you posted you wanted in an application so here this stuff is:

We expect your performance to be in line with a top 5% raiding guild. We prefer raiders with a good resume, but we will invest in an exceptional applicant.

In addition to being a fully functional tank, I regularly rank in the top 5% of Blood DKs for DPS. This may not be as needed in 25man as it is in 10man but it helps nonetheless. I have raided at the US and World level back in Wrath and know the devotion and requirements to maintain that ranking. The highest I had achieved was a World #101 Normal Lich King 25. You will have to invest a small amoutn of time into bringing my gear and current experience up, but during that time I will not be a hinderance and after that time I will continue to be a valuable and contributing member of the guild.

We insist that you have excellent attendance and that you give the team 100% each night.

If I say I will be there, I will be there. I plan my emergencies around raid time. I also give everything I can to every pull, using potions and cooldowns on farm bosses or wipes in case it can help.

We strongly favor adults because we need a stable roster. If you are a student, you must convince us that you are reliable and control your own schedule.

Does it count that I am a student if I am also an adult? As said above I am finishing my M.S. and I'm 23. My schedule will remain mostly stable for the rest of my life since I will be doing my internships and eventually working in a school.

We want awesome communication. Plan to install Mumble - we much prefer it over Vent. We also like members who are very active on our message board.

As said above I have years of leadership experience so I know when is and isn't a good time to speak up. As a tank I am able to be vocal and work with my healers and fellow tanks. I also know when to buckle down and focus on maximizing my performance. Once I get used to being in the guild I will likely become one of the more active members in terms of forums. I know their usefulness and tend to see my post count go very high trying to be apart of everything I can. As you can tell by this, I am quite verbose.

We are Blizzard fans, and we want to be around other people who love this game too. If you don't thoroughly enjoy WoW, go away!

Nothing serves the purpose of maximizing my free time like WoW does and I love it for it. There are aspects of the game that I don't enjoy, so I don't bother with them.

We need personality. Imagine - I've just gotten home from a 12 hour workday, I'm famished, and now I'm going to spend 3 hours with you. You need to be fun, or this just won't work.

I like to think I am fun. I have come to be known as the Hippy GM for my ability to stay calm and talk to people to get what is needed, done without yelling or freaking out. I pay just as much as the next guy so I treat him like I treat everyone and respect him like I would hope he respects me.

We enjoy PvP. We would like to revisit rated BG's in Mists, along with contested world bosses, so we prefer applicants who enjoy a little rough and tumble.

I'm not that big into PvP unless it benefits my PvE but if the guild's doing it I will be apart of it to the best of my ability.

We are eclectic Our members are boys, girls, gay, straight, conservative, liberal and come in a variety of colors. Do not apply if you don't know how to behave in this environment.

I hold no predjudice or preference to anyone. I am male, straight (90/10), mostly liberal, and white.

I feel like I really made an excessively long post, so feel free to ask me anything I missed here or in-game, I will check back here very regularly.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats up Babs,

Looks like you did quite well with your post, nice thorough app. Welcome to our forums.

I'll take sime time to go over your logs, thanks for providing the info.

Gemming/reforge all looks in line. Why two Blood specs? You really enjoy dailes as a tank? Tome of clear minds too costly? Interesting.

What advantages do you find you get from glphying IBF versus leaving it unglyphed?

What draws you to tanking and Blood DK specifically?

Whats a tool in the DK arsenal you really love and whats something other tanks have that you wish you could get your hands on?

How do you feel that tanking in a skirt (not just for pallies any more) affects aggro and mitigation?

Catch you later,

I have two Blood Specs because I don't really enjoy DPS on my DK, I can do it if need be but I don't have a full set and I'm not overly practiced in it. One set is my normal tanking set and the other is slightly tweaked for a little more DPS on fights where my survivability isn't in question. I keep them both on me so that I don't have to deal with the ElvUI bug of changing talents/specs as often. Mostly because I see little point in keeping the other spec as anything but tanking. TBH I do enjoy dailies as a tank, something about killing mobs 10 at a time makes dailies seem less grindy. I also always keep a stack of Tomes for changing if needed.

I switch my IBF glyph frequently during fights depending on the need. For a fight like Elegon when I know a big hit from Total Annihilation is going to come regularly I glyph it so that I can time it and get the damage reduction more frequently. On other fights with less predictable, or more spread out periods of extreme damage, I unglyph it for use in panic situations to let healers or my DS catch me up.

I tanked for years on my Paladin and loved every minute of it, primarily the ability to play other specs. I started playing on my DK toward the end of DS when our guild was w/o a DK. I immediately loved the ability to heal and the mini-game of runes and planning Death Strike to both stay alive for coming damage and recover from previous damage. I also enjoy the numerous cooldowns they have for many occasions. I feel like my survivability is more in my hands then playing other tanking classes.

Honestly, I love Dancing Rune Weapon probably most of all the spells, although Death Strike is a close 2nd. DRW brings a ton of increased DPS as well as interesting things like double diseases/soul reaper, 20% more parry which doesn't hurt, and extra healing from copied Death Strike. If I could steal something from another tank class it would be..... Avenger's Shield, its the one thing I miss most about being a Paladin, the ranged stun was awesome for getting in caster mobs and the look of it was my favorite.

As for the tanking in a skirt, its not a skirt, its a.... a.... ok its a skirt, but it leads bosses to underestimate me at first till they realize I have been slapping the shit out of them with my Axe while they barely hit me. Then they wonder why they can't hit me because I've built up such a large Blood Shield. This causes them to hit me harder which keeps my Death Strike healing and Shielding for more, and the cycle continues. Also I tanked in a skirt on my Pally in Ulduar and on a Blood Elf it looks more like a robe, on an Orc its definitely a skirt but at least it doesnt chafe when I run like armor can.

How's it going? I'm Babylonious and I play a Blood Death Knight. I'm not sure how to go about this free form application so here I go.

For what its worth, I think you did great. Happy to see your app.

Others are better suited to drill down on your talent choices and logs, so I'm going to stick to more general things.

Let's start with your background as a GM. That can definitely be a good thing, and in particular I tend to think that previous raid leaders have better than average situational awareness. But it can become a bad thing if you're unable to supress those leadership tendancies, resulting in "too many chiefs" syndrome. We like to try to keep our mumble clear and we've talked as a team about the need to avoid random shout-outs / conflicting instructions during pulls. Can you speak to this point and do you think this will be a challenge? (For what its worth, I'm practically surrounded by alpha males on this team, so from an ego perspective I don't feel threatened at all - but it is on a practical level where we all need to agree to a certain chain of command with one leader rather than many.)

Related to this, do you think you'll miss running your own show and want to go back to it? A pirate's life for me, etc?

Last, you obviously put a lot of time into your app and it is clear that you took the time to read our recruitment post (which by the way we appreciate).

What was it specifically about our guild that caught your fancy? Anything about us that your fancy was less-than-excited about?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/rexxar/Babylonius/advanced

Thats my Paladin. I haven't leveled him because I'm not much of an Alt guy and my school schedule didnt really allow for me to focus on anything but my DK.

As for my time as a GM, I am a leader, but my guild has become accustom to me doing everything for them which is what I want to avoid. The reason we have been stuck at our current progression is because I have attempted to take a hard-line with my raiders and get them to do the work themselves instead of relying on me. I would like nothing more than to not have to call anything out, and since I have not experienced the fights you have first-hand I would have no choice but to stop, collaborate, and listen.

The reason I am looking to leave my guild is that I am tired of being a chief, I want to be an indian. As a tank I am required to be somewhat knowledgable of every aspect of the fight and be able to communicate effectively when needed, which allows for a middle-ground. I will still be important, but I don't have to worry about others doing their jobs.