Where's Relent?

Relent

Hi Folks, just checked in to see how things were going. Grats to Tyrlis on his Sentinel set. (slight pang of jealousy, it coulda been me)

I started to catch up on the Warhammer forums, but it sounds like some things got funky on the 29th, so I stopped. Hopefully it'll smooth out whatever it is.

I was beta-ing this strange German game called Celetania, and got hooked. It's kind of like a modern MMO version of Master of Orion (anyone remember that old beast?) but it takes hours to do anything. I can leave it up while I work, which is perfect for me. If any of you happen to be 4x junkies, I'd recommend taking a look at it. But it's not for the FPS twitch folks. :)

And I am finally beginning to get a handle on work stuff. And hey, I started drawing a salary too. (first time real paycheck since 2001, if you can believe it) So sometime early this spring I should be ready to re-enter the world of MMO again with you all.

*waves*

Glad to hear about the positive developments from work! Yes the 1/29 announcement garnered mixed reviews from all of us. On the one hand, Slayer was the class we had hoped for (and we're getting it!), and Darkness Falls was one of the coolest features of DAoC for many players, so an updated version of that in WAR is great.

On the other hand, a lot of us are still waiting to hear things like: nerfed crowd control, nerfed witch elves, fixed zone control.

SoH has been busy with new recruits and joining a new alliance (almost a partnership) which has been great for everyone. Our alliance (the Cavalry) is starting to get recognition from both sides as a tight, skillful group, and has enhanced our enjoyment of the game quite a bit. :D

It stands for eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate, which is pretty much what you do in a 4X game. It's the genre that includes games like Civilization and Master of Orion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4X

It's unusual to see it in an MMO form though. The gameplay itself has actually been really interesting to see into the mid-game, and it's fun to steamroll real people. But it's been a painful beta in terms of server clunkiness, (and with probably not even 100 players) and I'm wondering just how frustrating it may be to play in early release.

While Celetania is a different game, (not just Sins of a Solar Empire in MMO land) there's enough similarity that SoaSE fans will probably like it. I really enjoyed SoaSE myself, but I also got tired of it after a week or so. The multiplayer aspect and slower progression of Celetania has been holding my interest better.

The beta is supposed to end day after tomorrow, and the game officially releases on the 13th. Looking forward to carving out the permanent empire.