Aion guild application

Guest Quangsang

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I didn't try it in sekret! I posted in the FE posts!! Also, I did honestly try Aion, I wanted to like it - I just didn't. The graphics were amazing, certainly, the character classes all seemed awesome, there were no bugs to be found (thanks to its previous release in Asia), I really liked the combo system for combat. I think it is a very well built/balanced game, and I am sure you all will enjoy it a great deal. I just didn't like the grinding, it felt really grind heavy to me, and bleh. I just hate that feeling. Also, you guys want to play the fugly clawed donkey race. =P

I still play WAR (Volkmar) and I like it a lot. I can't really justify playing Aion, WAR and FE, and of the two new options FE is just a better genre, IMO. I am a sucker for Post-apocalyptic/steam-punk stuff.

Or wait, I guess you were talking about tryin Aion in secret? I am pretty sure I posted that I was trying that too, but I rolled on a day when I didn't have access to the forums and I didn't want to re-start, seeing as it was just a closed beta session. I got to lvl 15, Sorc.

I did honestly try Aion, I wanted to like it - I just didn't.

don't feel bad, disco. this was very much the same for me which is why i'm staying in eq2 with a small group of guildies. FE also has crossed my radar and i might try it out if i don't commit to a 2nd eq2 account. the majority of the guild playing aion will have a great time, and those of us playing other games will have fun too :D

I mean, from what we've heard, you hit max level in AION in a similar or even shorter timeframe than games that you guys like. So it isn't about how long it takes.

"Grind" seems (to me) to mean playing the game. That's what grouping with your friends and killing NPC's is, right? Gameplay? So, gameplay is bad. But running around doing errands for an NPC by yourself is good.

Don't get me wrong- most people have developed the same mindset as you guys over time. That repeated gameplay is bad and quests are good. I just don't really see why, personally. To be honest, I find it more relaxing to fight stuff for a few hours. That way I can zone out, chat with people, bump into strangers, etc. Playing courier for a dozen makebelieve characters isn't particularly exciting fo rme, although of course I enjoy the backstory. So if they are amusing or well written then it is a plus for sure.

Now L2 was truly grind. Killing the same exact cluster of NPC's in 8 to 12 hour shifts, hoping to get 5 or 10% of a level when you were done. That's a grind. Having to kill mobs to farm for decent gear or polish off the last half of your level? Can't see anything wrong with that myself.

What I hate about raiding is the real life scheduling and management exercise it represents. Since we do not require people to prioritize game over life, scheduling 20+ people is a monstrosity in and of itself. Then there is the rehersal, over and over, of the same script. And each time, one person does one thing wrong, so you have to reherse again. Finally there is the administrative and sometimes emotional difficulty of distributing the limited spoils amongst the group.

This is nothing like logging in to grind some mobs. It's also the reason I like the trend toward single-party "endgame" instances.

I see. EQ2 still has its 4x raids, but they have done a good job providing a lot of 1x and 2x content in the last expansion. Getting 6-12 people together is a bit more manageable than 24, 40, or 80. If you haven't ever done the large raids in any game though, it is something to be experienced, at least once, if you can reliably schedule your gaming time. Call that hard core if you will, but most people, even in this guild, tend to have regular play times. The trick is finding the guild that will accommodate those times.

Okay, enough derailing,

"Grind" seems (to me) to mean playing the game. That's what grouping with your friends and killing NPC's is, right? Gameplay? So, gameplay is bad. But running around doing errands for an NPC by yourself is good.

Completely agree. "Grind" has just become a four-letter word, that's all. I'm from DAoC where quests were kind of an oddity, apart from your class-specific epic series. You even learn to play your class better in a "killing mobs to level" situation, because on the whole you're spending more time in combat! That was certainly my experience, and you can learn a lot more than you think by just putting forth the effort to pick up on things you wouldn't have noticed otherwise and not turning off your brain to go on autopilot to grind.