Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
orokkevalo

Caresia Intro (WoW)

Recommended Posts

Hello friendships,

 

I'm Caresia, aka Jocelyn (I'm much better at answering to my real name than my game one). I've been playing WoW casually on and off since BC, but didn't start formal raiding until Uldir this expansion. I'm a big fan of cooperative play, so all I really dream about is a being part of a guild full of cool, capable (definitely not petulant) people who wanna successfully kill stuff. My day job is a genetics PhD student, or at least it was until the world closed for business. Anywho, now I spend my days doing my second-favorite thing- snuggling, squeezing, and generally harassing our half-bengal cats, whom I will discuss ad nauseum, so probably don't ask me about them unless you're prepared. =P When I'm not playing WoW I'm probably playing the Sims, (my first true video game love) SWTOR, Destiny 2, or any Bioware game because I'm an RPG addict. Although, I have been known to eschew the computer for the couch so I can read an entire book series in a weekend. In any case, I'm basically an open book, and an enthusiastic over-sharer, so if there's anything you want to know, just ask!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey there, Jocelyn!

I'm Mordigrim. Also Brad. Sometimes Mordi. Rarely Bradly. Occasionally Bardly. You can choose whatever one you like (or make up your own) and run with it, I'm not picky. 

If you're looking for a guild full of cool people you might be disappointed. Speaking for myself, I certainly trend more toward being a nerd than being cool :lol:

Tell me more about your half-bengal cats! How many do you have? What are their names? What are their personalities like? How long have you had them? Why half-bengals? 

What are some of your favorite book series? What is the one book series everyone should absolutely read at least once?

If you had to choose one famous (or infamous) person or fictional character as a role-model for the way you'd like to live your life, who would it be and why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mordigrim said:

Tell me more about your half-bengal cats! How many do you have? What are their names? What are their personalities like? How long have you had them? Why half-bengals? 

Hi Brad! So we have 2, although only one is technically ours (the other is my sister's, but we all live together). We adopted them together, and they are actually twins. Their names are Rajah (my sister's) and Jean Ralphio (bonus points if you get the reference ;)). We adopted them through craigslist, as a re-homing from someone who couldn't care for them anymore and we've had them for about 3.5 years now. As for their personalities... can you imagine an aggressively needy raccoon who howls a lot? They're the best little monsters in the world, but they wreak whatever havoc they like and then demand to sit on your shoulders. I'd probably die for them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Do you have any pets, raccoon or otherwise?

6 hours ago, Mordigrim said:

What are some of your favorite book series? What is the one book series everyone should absolutely read at least once?

Okay, this is a gimme for me because there's no competition in my mind- Harry Potter all the way. I'm actually planning to get a small HP-themed tattoo once I can go out in the world again. Life's too short, amirite? As for a book series that everyone should read, that one is tougher. I could answer HP again, because I really love it and believe everyone should read it, but that seems like a cop-out. So I'd have to go with the Golden Compass series. It's just a really good kids' series that deals with complex ideas and doesn't patronize a child's mind. I read a LOT as a kid and I always loved a story that had depth to it, and so I read a lot of adult fiction in addition to stuff for my age.

6 hours ago, Mordigrim said:

If you had to choose one famous (or infamous) person or fictional character as a role-model for the way you'd like to live your life, who would it be and why?

Last but not least, this one is really kind of hard for me. I think I'd ultimately have to choose Professor X, because I always appreciated his ultimate willingness to accept himself as he was, and his generosity towards others. Basically, he does the right thing for the right reasons most of the time, and he uses his wealth for the greater good. That's a pretty good way to be, I figure.

 

Questions for you!

 

What's your favorite non-electronic thing to do?

If you had to pick 5 foods to eat for the rest of your life, what would they be and why? Condiments don't count.

If a chaotic neutral wizard cast a spell over the world so that everyone immediately turned into an animal, what would you become?

 

Hit me if you've got more! This is fun :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, orokkevalo said:

Jean Ralphio (bonus points if you get the reference ;))


I would like my bonus points now as I'm well aware of one of the funniest characters on P&R. April/Andy are my favorites but the Sapersteins are all absolutely hilarious as foils/antagonists for Tom.
 

 

1 hour ago, orokkevalo said:

can you imagine an aggressively needy raccoon who howls a lot?


I think I am an aggressively needy raccoon who howls a lot some days. 

 

1 hour ago, orokkevalo said:

Do you have any pets, raccoon or otherwise?


We have two dogs. Both mutts. One is German shepherd/pitbull mix named Ragnar who is super lovey and needs affection and pets at all times. The other is a black lab/blue heeler mix named Boyd who kinda has the personality of the average house-cat. He loves attention but only on his terms and when he's in the mood for it, he hates rain and walking on wet ground/snow, and absolutely positively must have a blanket or pillow available for lounging at all times. 

 

2 hours ago, orokkevalo said:

Okay, this is a gimme for me because there's no competition in my mind- Harry Potter all the way. I'm actually planning to get a small HP-themed tattoo once I can go out in the world again. Life's too short, amirite? As for a book series that everyone should read, that one is tougher. I could answer HP again, because I really love it and believe everyone should read it, but that seems like a cop-out. So I'd have to go with the Golden Compass series. It's just a really good kids' series that deals with complex ideas and doesn't patronize a child's mind. I read a LOT as a kid and I always loved a story that had depth to it, and so I read a lot of adult fiction in addition to stuff for my age.


I love Harry Potter! I have all the books, grew up reading them (Sorcerer's Stone was given to me in 6th grade and Deathly Hallows came out when I was about 20 so I was just the right age for peak Potter fandom), and have been trying to get my 7yo started on them (without being overly pushy about it because I don't want him to be like "ugh Dad I'm not reading your dumb wizard books"). When my son was born he was in the NICU and we were encouraged to read short stories to him when we weren't able to hold him so he could hear our voices and feel our presence and the book I took with me to read to him was Tales of Beedle the Bard. I think I would definitely be a Hufflepuff (I'd like to think loyalty, kindness, and tolerance are traits I exemplify on my best days). 

I've never read the Golden Compass series but I should! I liked the movie and have thoroughly enjoyed the HBO series so far (I have only watched the first three episodes). I think you've inspired me to add the books to bookshelf sometime soon.

 

2 hours ago, orokkevalo said:

What's your favorite non-electronic thing to do?


Disc golf. Even when I'm not gaming I'm still doing what might be the nerdiest of outdoor activities. There's a collecting aspect to it as well and I dye discs too so there's also an art outlet for me in it. I also volunteer every summer at a camp for kids with type 1 diabetes (I have t1d and was a camper at the camp as a kid, my wife was a camper there too that's how we met) and that's super important to me. Oh and there's my Pathfinder (think Dungeons & Dragons if you're not familiar) hobby. My Pathfinder group also plays lots of board games and occasionally Magic the Gathering as well. I have a lot of interests, I guess. 

 

2 hours ago, orokkevalo said:

If you had to pick 5 foods to eat for the rest of your life, what would they be and why? Condiments don't count.


Southern fried buttermilk chicken. It's my go-to comfort food, it reminds me of being a kid and visiting grandma's house for dinner, and it's probably one of the first things I learned to cook myself. 
Gumbo. I. Love. Gumbo. Again, total comfort food. It also takes me several hours to prep and cook and it becomes an all-day activity for me and I find the process of making it very meditative/therapeutic. 
Chicken Pad Thai (preferably from my local spot, Chim's Thai Kitchen). I can't not include at least one Asian dish of some sort and of all my Asian favorites Chim's Pad Thai is probably my most favorite. 
Lox and everything bagel sandwich. I feel like I need to include a breakfast meal on this list and if I had to pick just one this would be it. 
Chicken Alfredo. It's my wife's favorite food and I'd be heartbroken if I couldn't make it for her/us anymore. 

Full disclosure, if I answered this question again tomorrow it might be an entirely different five answers :lol:

 

2 hours ago, orokkevalo said:

If a chaotic neutral wizard cast a spell over the world so that everyone immediately turned into an animal, what would you become?


Bear. Bears are my favorite animal. I've always called them my spirit animal. I love bears so much. I love the way they look, I love the way they lumber around, and I love the idea of hibernating through the winter and just skipping to spring. Plus my wife says I'm basically Fozzie Bear already so there's that. 
 

 

2 hours ago, orokkevalo said:

Hit me if you've got more! This is fun :D


I'm drawing a blank right now but I might come up with more for you later. Hopefully some other folks pop in over the next few days and say hello as well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got some! 

 

What's your favorite smell and what does it evoke for you? 

 

You were the captain of a space ship crewed by your family members, who mutinied. Why'd they do that? 

 

What's one more obscure book series you'd want people to read? Fiction or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2020 at 9:05 PM, Mordigrim said:

April/Andy are my favorites but the Sapersteins are all absolutely hilarious as foils/antagonists for Tom

I honestly love the Sapersteins so much, they're fantastically horrible. Especially Mona Lisa, as Jenny Slate is a goddess who can do no wrong.

 

On 5/9/2020 at 9:05 PM, Mordigrim said:

The other is a black lab/blue heeler mix named Boyd who kinda has the personality of the average house-cat

I think Boyd is my spirit dog. Also I genuinely think I am part house-cat. Food for thought.

 

On 5/9/2020 at 9:05 PM, Mordigrim said:

Southern fried buttermilk chicken. It's my go-to comfort food, it reminds me of being a kid and visiting grandma's house for dinner, and it's probably one of the first things I learned to cook myself. 
Gumbo. I. Love. Gumbo. Again, total comfort food. It also takes me several hours to prep and cook and it becomes an all-day activity for me and I find the process of making it very meditative/therapeutic. 
Chicken Pad Thai (preferably from my local spot, Chim's Thai Kitchen). I can't not include at least one Asian dish of some sort and of all my Asian favorites Chim's Pad Thai is probably my most favorite. 
Lox and everything bagel sandwich. I feel like I need to include a breakfast meal on this list and if I had to pick just one this would be it. 
Chicken Alfredo. It's my wife's favorite food and I'd be heartbroken if I couldn't make it for her/us anymore. 

Full disclosure, if I answered this question again tomorrow it might be an entirely different five answers :lol:

First of all, I would like to eat all of these right now, especially the lox bagel because that is the food of my people (literally but also figuratively :D). I'd love your fried chicken recipe if it's available, I could use some serious comfort food. Or the gumbo. I'm really hungry rn. But I do enjoy cooking and fried chicken I've only made once, and I definitely want to try it again. I also really love that one of these is actually for your wife, that's extremely sweet :love:.

 

On 5/9/2020 at 9:05 PM, Mordigrim said:

I love the idea of hibernating through the winter and just skipping to spring

I feel this so strongly. I honestly HATE winter because it's cold (duh) but also dryyyyyyyy and I am a human skin desert, so winter is an exercise in how fast I can tear through moisturizers. Give me warmth and humidity any day. Also I definitely live in the wrong place, yes.

 

18 minutes ago, Estarriol said:

What's your favorite smell and what does it evoke for you?

Estaaaaaaa I love this question. Fresh cut hay grass or clover grass in the summer. I love driving with the windows open and there's that sweet smell in the warm air, preferably in the early evening where the sun is partially set and the real heat has left the day. So it's just perfectly warm without being hot, and the air has a coolness and humidity from the coming night. That indescribable emotion is exactly what I get whenever I smell that. Now I just can't wait for it to be properly summer.

 

22 minutes ago, Estarriol said:

You were the captain of a space ship crewed by your family members, who mutinied. Why'd they do that?

Okay so Jim and I actually discussed this one a bit. My first gut response was my first sister (I'm the oldest, so she's the next one after me), because she's practically a professional malcontent, but she does that to everyone, so there's no earthly (or spacely?) way anyone would follow her in a mutiny. My dad would be busy eating all the snacks on board, and my mother would be complaining that he's eating too much sugar while also endlessly haranguing me about the fact that our space food wasn't sustainably-sourced and, "Why is there even snack food, anyway? Just have a piece of fruit." So I think that it would have to be my second, youngest sister, which actually makes total sense since she has a passive-aggressive streak a mile wide, and loves to make the decisions for everyone (although to be fair, that's a family trait. That's probably how I ended up captain ;))

 

29 minutes ago, Estarriol said:

What's one more obscure book series you'd want people to read? Fiction or not.

October Daye series by Seanan McGuire. Not technically obscure but most people haven't heard of it. Just a really good modern fae detective sort of fiction. That was an excellent description, non? Also the book Crazy Rich Asians trilogy. The movie was cute but the books are excellent and hilarious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, orokkevalo said:

First of all, I would like to eat all of these right now, especially the lox bagel because that is the food of my people (literally but also figuratively :D). I'd love your fried chicken recipe if it's available, I could use some serious comfort food. Or the gumbo. I'm really hungry rn. But I do enjoy cooking and fried chicken I've only made once, and I definitely want to try it again. I also really love that one of these is actually for your wife, that's extremely sweet :love:.


Ok so I don't really use recipes for anything outside of baking. I kind of have guidelines, I guess? Learning to cook was just hanging out in the kitchen with mom/grandma and just helping and watching what they did, there wasn't a written recipe for most meals. I can give you tips and tricks but I don't really have a recipe to share. 

Tips for fried chicken: 
Use peanut oil to fry in (assuming you don't have an allergy). It's the most neutral tasting frying oil imo so you taste the chicken and spices and not the oil. I use a big Dutch oven for frying and keep my oil temped at about 325, allowing it to rise back to 325 between pulling one batch and dropping the next.
I like to "marinate" my chicken in a mix of buttermilk, dijon mustard, and cayenne or chipotle pepper (depending on my mood). Overnight is best but in a pinch you can let it sit for as little as 2 hours. 
When it's time to fry, I have three bowls of stuff to make breading. First bowl is flour (unbleached, all-purpose), baking powder, kosher salt, ground black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika, dried oregano, and whatever other dried herbs/spices I'm feeling that day. Sometimes I sub chipotle powder for cayenne, sometimes I add rosemary and thyme, it really varies. Second bowl is a beat egg, buttermilk, and dijon mustard (sometimes I add a shot of Tabasco chipotle sauce here too). Third bowl is flour, salt, baking powder, and panko or plain bread crumbs. 
Each piece goes from bowls 1-3 straight into the oil. Don't overcrowd, should be about a fingers width between each piece. Pull it when it's golden brown and then I use a cookie rack with paper towels under it to drain the excess oil. Probe for temp, if it's not 165 I just put it on a cookie sheet in the oven at 325 to finish cooking while I do the next batch.

Tips for gumbo:
Start here: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/shrimp-gumbo-recipe-1946875
Alton Brown's Good Eats episode on gumbo has some great tips (like baking the roux while you prep everything else, baking a brick roux is so easy and has changed my life for the better). If you can find the video, check it out.
I use more vegetables than Alton Brown. My initial mix that goes into the roux is usually onion, celery, carrot, bell pepper, and jalapenos. I also don't add my garlic right away, I usually add it just a bit before adding the tomatoes and stuff to avoid it going bitter while the other veggies are being cooked down. 
My wife doesn't do seafood so I usually skip the shrimp broth and make a chicken stock instead. I usually use the meat from a whole chicken and a couple links of andouille sausage as my protein in the gumbo and saute some shrimp for myself on the side to toss into my own bowl. 
If I remember correctly, Alton advises against using both okra and file powder. I disagree. I add okra when I add my tomatoes and spices and then add file powder to taste to each bowl. 
The best gumbo side in my opinion is cornbread. More specifically, cheesy jalapeno cornbread. I do cheat here and use Jiffy mix. Two boxes of Jiffy corn muffin mix, one can of cream corn, minced jalapenos, and thick shredded cheddar. Bake per the instructions on the mix, super easy and so good.
 

 

2 hours ago, orokkevalo said:

but also dryyyyyyyy and I am a human skin desert, so winter is an exercise in how fast I can tear through moisturizers.


Saaaame. Whenever Bath & Body Works has a sale I stock up on shea body creams to survive the cold months :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mordigrim said:

The best gumbo side in my opinion is cornbread. More specifically, cheesy jalapeno cornbread. I do cheat here and use Jiffy mix. Two boxes of Jiffy corn muffin mix, one can of cream corn, minced jalapenos, and thick shredded cheddar. Bake per the instructions on the mix, super easy and so good.

 

I just made my first attempt at sourdough cornbread yesterday. Gumbo provides the excuse for more. This is appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jocelyn, your cats sound a lot like my kids. Or at least the younger two. The oldest would be happy to join you in your HP devouring.

 

No crazy questions from me, simply because my kids have fried my brain. Just a hi!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2020 at 9:28 PM, Merriwhizzle said:

Jocelyn, your cats sound a lot like my kids. Or at least the younger two. The oldest would be happy to join you in your HP devouring.

 

No crazy questions from me, simply because my kids have fried my brain. Just a hi!

Oh I imagine kids can still make you crazier! But they also don't require a box full of poop, so tradeoffs, eh? Has your eldest read the extra books that have come out, like Tales of Beedle the Bard? If not, I highly recommend it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...