Veteran's Day.

Pook

Saw this commercial for Wal-Mart earlier tonight, and it touched me a bit more than would be expected for some reason.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9lkmd-mMJ0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9lkmd-mMJ0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

It also reminded me that tomorrow is Veteran's Day, and I would like to take this opportunity to thank those in SoH who have served, or are serving at the moment. While the short attention span of our country may have drifted away from the people serving both here and abroad, I would imagine this is one of the most difficult times of the year for people in the military.

Anyhoo, know that you are appreciated.

patriotic_thank-you_1.jpg

Edited by Pook

Before I go into the deeper aspects of it, that's a very well-made commercial. Kudos to Walmart, or as I call it, the Gigantic Corporate Devil.

Veteran's day is a very strange holiday in my brain. I'm not really into taking credit or talking about how great I am. But this holiday, of all the holidays in the year, applies directly to me. Father's Day is great, but there are billions of fathers. And sometimes I don't feel like a veteran. I haven't been shot at. Nobody's tried to blow me up. In seven years wearing this uniform, I've hardly suffered. It's been great.

But I've started coming around a bit, since coming here to Korea. Being here just sucks. I'm away from my family, for 11 and a half months out of a year. I work from 5 AM to 6 or 7 PM, 5 days a week. I'm exhausted, mentally and physically, and there isn't even my family here to keep me going. So I've drawn on the feelings that drove me into the military in the first place... pride, and patriotism. I'm proud to wear the uniform. I'm proud of the country that gave me the uniform. I believe in the principles of the country so much, I'm willing to get sent to the other side of the world. And I guess that's where I'm starting to realize the value of this holiday... to stay in this military, to deploy, and get shot at, and to feel this awful sense of missing... over, and over again... takes a hell of a lot of pride, and patriotism.

So... Thank you guys. And you're welcome. But I'm going to defer to the veterans who were in the Korean War, the Vietnam War, and those that have deployed in OIF/OEF... because those guys have done it all.

I find it somewhat unfortunate that we are having this conversation under the auspice of one of the most unpatriotic and inhumane corporations in existence.

If it makes you feel any better, I couldn't even remember who the commercial was for until I searched for it on YouTube this morning.

While Walmart has a pretty awful reputation for employee rights, and Sam Walton was the Scrooge of the business world, they have done a lot in recent years to improve their image at least. 2009 will be the fourth year in a row that they top the world in charitable contributions, with a figure topping 300 hundred million. (Though not as impressive when their net profit is 13 billion...)

Still, they garner enough hate to cause communities to actually fight the economic boon a store brings and bring life to websites such as

"W.I.P.E." (Walmart Is Pure Evil)

http://www.intellectualpoison.com/WalMartisPureEvil.html

Anyhoo, don't derail the thread and its actual meaning with your editorials! :eek:

From an ex-weekend warrior to all the others out there who have served...

Thank YOU for your service!

SPC Opal - 91B

343rd Medical Company (Ambulance)

(Just an FYI, Applebee's is offering up free meals to all Veterans and Active Duty military. http://www.applebees.com/vetsDay/default.aspx#identification

Woo! Free eats!)

Edited by Opal
I forgot my own rank?!